Thursday 24 August 2017

Knockhill the wrong way round = Best race weekend ever!!

After trying out the reverse direction track on Wednesday night prior to race weekend, I was really not sure about it. I spent the next couple of days moaning that I didn’t like it and had mentally prepared myself to deal with an average performance – a “what will be, will be” kind of attitude… Only to then go and put the car on POLE in qualifying! 

And that set me up for what was to be a brilliant day's racing. Qualifying pole on the reverse circuit was the best thing I could’ve done because it looked to be far more difficult to overtake on than KH the normal way round.

Race 1: 

Lined up in 1st, tried my very best to stay calm and waited for the start light sequence –left leg shaking trying to hold the biting point on the clutch! Surprisingly, I didn’t mess up my start and led the pack into the hairpin. Dom Wheatley was piling on the pressure but he made a mistake at Clark’s and ran wide. I thought this would give me some breathing space but my teammate Michael Weddell was straight on my tail but I held him off and took the win… Woohoooo!!!

Race 2: 
Feeling less nervous than race 1 after getting a win under my belt for the day I got in the car and was ready to go. I had another brilliant start so once again, led the pack into the hairpin with teammate Michael right behind me. The safety car was deployed a couple of laps in and I hadn’t even given a thought of how I’d go about a restart if I happened to still be leading the pack so I just winged it and actually, it worked really well for me! Sadly, my fellow Minimaxer Michael dropped down from 2nd place and the pressure was replaced by Ian Munro who was right on my back bumper to the very end but I held my nerve, defended like there was no tomorrow, survived another safety car restart and took my second win of the day! Fantastic!!

Race 3: 
For the reverse grid I pulled number 5 out of the bag which I was pretty pleased with as it was the lowest number I could’ve chosen. I had yet another flying start and was pushing my teammate Michael down towards the hairpin and I managed to get into 4th. Annoyingly a couple of laps later I made a mistake at the hairpin and ran wide letting two cars past. But I carried on chasing and the two in front were battling so hard that they both went wide at Clarks and I was able to pull off a risky move up the inside into the Chicane gaining back the two places I had lost. I was even gaining ground on the front three who had got away but at this point it was too late, the chequered flag came out and I finished 4th. Still delighted with that though. 

A HUUUUUGE thanks goes to everyone in my team Minimax Motorsport and of course to my wonderful sponsors, my boyfriend Lewis for always being there and supporting me, our new puppy Cooper who is definitely a lucky mascot, my amazing family, all the Knockhill staff, marshals and last but not least the photographers who captured the moments from this brilliant day. THANK YOU ALL! 

Minimax Motorsport
RAM Tubulars Scotland Ltd
Nexus24
Whitehaul Ltd
Sightmast Enterprises
Ajmal Steel
TSL Pitmedden Ltd
TSL Aberdeen Ltd



No comments:

Post a Comment