Thursday 25 February 2016

The best female racer in Scotland returns!

Happy 2016 love:mini readers! Sorry for being a stranger, but after a busy few months with changing jobs (to go and work for my main sponsor RAM Tubulars Scotland Ltd) and moving north to Aberdeen again I am now back and ready to write… 

So, first of all let me summarise my 2015 season and update you on how my off season has been going in preparation for my championship pursuit in the 2016 Celtic Speed Scottish MINI Cooper Cup.

Last year’s season ended on a high for me. At the final round I achieved my highest finishing position so far - just one step away from being 1st, only being beaten to it by Oly Mortimer whose consistency and experience won him the race over myself, still being prone to the odd mistake here and there. I was really hoping to achieve the final step on the podium for the final round but it wasn’t to be so my goal is to aim just as high for 2016 and hopefully it won’t be too long until I get there! 

Overall, 2015 was yet another rollercoaster although I figure racing just wouldn’t be the same if it didn’t have the ups without the downs. With the season ending so well I was just really relieved to have proved to myself that I can do it and I am extremely grateful that my sponsors, friends and family saw my potential and believed in me enough to stick by me even when things were looking hopeless. I never would have thought I’d be 5th in the overall championship by the end of it!


The annual awards ceremony for the SMRC was held at its usual high class venue – The Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa which is situated in the heart of Scotland’s capital city. This year I wasn’t expecting anything other than the “Ladies Cup” in which I can’t really say was a great achievement seeing as I was the only female competing in the championship for 90% of the year, however I am always grateful for the extra recognition and amazingly I was then surprised with, not one, but TWO special awards. I couldn’t believe my ears when the winner of the SMRC Driver of the Year Award was announced as being me as well as being awarded the Edinburgh Student’s Charities Quaich for being the top lady driver competing in Scotland in 2015 –mnow that definitely is an achievement as I do have some strong female rivalry in this country. 

After a month of relaxing and enjoying the festive period, it was time to spring back into action and be ahead of the game for 2016. Lola (my race Mini) was sent to the body shop for some long awaited TLC repairing her battle scars, patching her back up and painting her white as a blank canvas ready for her new vinyl wrap design to go onto. This year we are certainly going to stand out from the crowd as we opted for a chrome wrap with bright satin pink and brushed aluminium black and I must say… she is looking FABULOUS!

This year I am also lucky enough to have full car sponsorship from my main sponsors (and now employers) RAM Tubulars Scotland Ltd. They have changed my life over the past two years and now we can work together to help change the lives of others too. It’s so nice to be able to raise funds for a good cause as oppose to raising it for myself in order to get back on track - thanks to RAM Tubulars, a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Together we are going to be utilising my involvement in motorsport in 2016 to help raise money for The ARCHIE Foundation.  Over the course of my 2016 race season in the Scottish MINI Cooper Cup, I will be selling spaces on the roof of Lola and 100% of it will go straight to the charity. In the near future, ARCHIE will also be taking a whirlwind visit to Knockhill Racing Circuit to meet Lola the Race MINI and have a blast round the track with me behind the wheel whilst I dust off the cobwebs and practice getting on the pace again for the fast approaching season commencing in April!

No comments:

Post a Comment