Saturday 29 July 2017

Scottish MINIs go to Donington



Scottish Cooper Cup - Rockingham Race Report…

Qualifying: 
P4, room for improvement but was really quite happy with that.

Race 1: 
On the outside of the grid, I had an amazing start off the line and held it round the outside of turn 1. Everyone then bunched up together and we were all so close heading for the uphill right hand corner Yentwood. Robbie Dalgliesh managed to squeeze up the inside and I was stuck behind Ian Munro who had lost momentum going up the hill. As a result, I also struggled up the hill and was left on the outside of Chapman Curve which meant that I had the inside line for Pif Paf but in the lap 1 chaos I was left no room and the car hit the big orange curb and careered off across the Touring Car circuit layout. The car was still driveable so I rejoined safely and tucked back into the pack. I finished 8th but was extremely frustrated that I’d gone backwards not forwards. 

Race 2: 
I was so ready to get out there and make a great comeback to do my team and sponsors proud. The start lights had broken down so after a second formation lap I was ready for the race to be started under a flag – reminded me of my karting days. I got off to an absolute flyer of a start and decided to go for the inside approach this time since my race 1 “round the outside” plan didn’t really work out. However, the cars in front were shoving each other on the banked corner (the fastest part of the circuit!). My teammate Michael who was on the outside of this unfortunately got tagged and was sent spinning across the track… right into Lola. Yet again, wrong place wrong time for me and another race weekend ruined. Surely my luck is due to change right?
 
Massive thanks to the following (sorry not sorry for the extensive list but I feel everyone deserves a proper mention after our Rockingham efforts):

Whitehaul – My family’s trucking company who transported the Minimax Minis to and from the circuit. I was so proud of them, they did a brilliant job and it was so great for them to feel like a proper part of the team. Much love to Kate and Sazbo (and Maisie the lorry)! 

Minimax – The best team ever! Team boss Scott. Driver coach Vic. Mechanics Andy, Alan P, Guy, Jack, Matt and Mikey. What great team spirit these guys have and always work so hard. It was also lovely to meet the latest addition to the team, Ross McColm and his wife Jodie. I’m so gutted for Ross that his first outing in the Minis resulted in a written off carL. My awesome teammates Michael, John and Taelor and of course the others that are always there supporting us and are just as valuable to the team as the rest; Lewis <3, Lottie, the Patersons, the Weddells/Marie, Alan S and weeFee. Minimax are a force to be reckoned with, bring on July.


My sponsors, the best sponsors I could ever ask for – RAM Tubulars Scotland Ltd (I’m sorry the car keeps getting “rammed”, I wish people would stop taking the logo so literally!), Nexus24, Sightmast Enterprises, Ajmal Steel, Whitehaul, TSL Pitmedden and TSL Aberdeen. You all mean the world to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment